a project of its own

In very late May of 2013, we moved to a new house. That is to say, we bought our first house and, with the help of lots and lots of wonderful people, moved in.

A month or two later, we tried our hand at making the house “ours,” by painting a sunroom/porch bright yellow. You can see the fruits of that effort here. For the record, we still have mixed feelings about it.

Then we decided to take a break with home improvement, because the yellow had us a little discouraged. Maybe we have terrible taste and don’t know it, we thought. We lost our steam. Life picked up, and we had things to do every weekend. Not only that (and I’ll be frank): even painting a room can be a costly experiment, and I wasn’t in a hurry to spend more money on something we might not get just right.

But, as the world continues to turn, the sun continues to rise and fall, the tides go in and out, and change has proven itself inevitable as always. We found out in October that we’re expecting our first baby (yay!), and we quickly realized we needed a place for that baby to live. As you may have seen before, our two upstairs rooms were/are like two different worlds: one a nicely painted and finished bedroom, the other a wood-paneled disaster area. I was using the second bedroom as our new project room, but now that it has become its own project, everything has been moved into the basement while we work on finishing this monster.

Fun in a kitschy way, but the paneling was falling off and also broken in areas. Also, it's really dark, especially with just one window.

Fun in a kitschy way, but the paneling was falling off and broken in areas. Also, it’s really dark, especially with just one window.

Tiny opening for the shared closet. Nice brown vinyl door that doesn't shut all the way.

Tiny opening for the shared closet. Nice brown vinyl door that doesn’t shut all the way.

My dad came over to help with the demolition! Definitely the most cathartic of all home improvement duties.

My dad came over to help with the demolition. Definitely the most cathartic of all home improvement duties. Note the globs of glue on the drywall that was holding all that paneling up!

Ripping more stuff apart.

Ripping more stuff apart.

 

We also made some unsettling electrical discoveries. Sigh. Less drywall, mo' problems.

We also made some unsettling electrical discoveries. Sigh. Less drywall, mo’ problems.

 

And that’s where we are today! There’s still some drywall to rip down, and we’re getting to that today. Then, we are definitely hiring an electrician (and maybe even someone to put up new drywall…). So, we’ll call it semi-homemade.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s